Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Nov 24th - What a special day

Bringing Amelia Home

This day seemed so normal. Amelia woke about around 6:30 this morning, drank a 7 oz bottle, she played around with her toys then we went back to bed for a little snooze around 7 for 45 minutes. Woke up again. Got mommy ready for work, got her dressed and dropped her off at her sitters. Picked her up around 4, came home, changed a poopy diaper, then had dinner. But I stopped about a bazillion times today and thought about what we were doing and feeling on this day last year. Last year, November 24th 2008, we were bringing Amelia home from the hospital, for the first time, after 60 days. I remember how cold the weather was that day, how slow we drove home from the hospital, how when we walked in the door, we took Amelia around the whole house to show her, her new home. I remember how scared we both were to fall asleep because we were so worried that she would suddenly stop breathing and without the monitors, we wouldn't know. Was she cold, too hot, did we have milk out to defrost for her next feedings. I looked at her today and was so....amazed? no..not the right word. I guess I thought about really what a true miracle she is to be so healthy, to be "normal" because so many things could have happened. I try not to think much about what could have happened, but on days that have so many memories, I have to look back to realize how far she has come...how far we have come as a family, and how blessed we are. God has watched over her from day one when he brought her back to life after not breathing, and every single prayer that was said for her, brought her to be where she is today. This day is almost as emotional to me, as the day she was born. It feels like just yesterday, but it has already been a year. She was 4 lbs 14 oz., that too is a number I will always have in my memory.
I needed reminders like days like these, so that I don't just go thru the "routine". To appreciate even the moment to be able to change that poopy diaper today. Makes me appreciate being a mommy so much more, and makes me really slow time down and realize that cleaning can wait another day, or the phone doesn't need to be answered, because today I just want to play with Amelia and see her little mind start to figure things out, and be amazed by her. I know this date will always be very special, and deserves it's own name. I think I will call it, Amelia's homecoming date. I love you little Melie bug. You are the sweetest thing that has ever happened to my life.

2 comments:

Serena said...

I am reading this now and tears come to my eyes! She is such a sweatheart. What a true miracle..

Jodi said...

I just thought that I'd check in on you and read this post and the New Year's one. This post was so well written - she is a true miracle! God has watched over her and blessed your family.

I love all the updates on your New Years post - so good to write those little things down, because they are so easily forgotten after a year goes by!