Saturday, January 16, 2010

Happy New Year



Well this year, the holiday's were a little different then they were last year. Last year, we had to figure out who was going to stay home with Amelia or if anyone was sick where we were going. This year, the thought came into my mind and right back out again. I maybe had to give it a two second thought. We jumped right into Christmas at my Grandma Hetzel's with 41 people in attendance and Amelia didn't even bat an eye and was right in the mix of everything. She did pay the price after the holiday's with a terrible cold (ran a fever for 4 days of 103) and another ear infection! 4th one of the year, and tubes were mentioned again. But I also think that the teeth are still playing a big part on the ear infections. These teeth just keep coming! She has 4 on top, 4 on bottom, and is now getting 3 molars coming in!! One of the teeth on the bottom has come in crooked, which I read is normal and will hopefully straighten out. On the other hand, I know how crooked my teeth were and unfortunately, her daddy did too! Better start saving for braces now!










I am disappointed to report that Amelia has made a pretty permanent home in our bed at night. As much as we make attempts to change it, I don't know if this battle will ever be won. She definitely has the drama queen in full swing at night. We have tried the "cry it out" but loose the battle around 10-15 minutes into it when she has riled herself up so much that she begins to throw up! That is a straight ticket right into our bed and we feel like terrible parents for the evening. We have tried to have her fall asleep and then move her into her bed, but the second we start to make the dip to lower her down, she starts screaming!?! Huh...you were just sound asleep? How in the world do you even know your going into your crib? At her most recent NICU f/u appointment, we discussed this with one of the doctors and she said that the only way to fix this, is to really just let her cry. We need to create a routine, and we need to stick to it. So read a few books, turn on music and into bed and let her be. If she throws up, we throw a towel over it and put another sheet over the top!! Ummmm...hmmm......M I K E!!! This is something your going to have to do, because I just can't imagine sleeping near puke all night long! But the hardest thing that we are supposed to do on the road to bed freedom is to stick to the routine ALL the time...including NAPS. Eeeeks. I think we are both very guilty of this because really, is there anything better than cuddling up with the warmth of a sweet little Amelia? As I type this right now, Mike is taking a nice little Saturday snooze with her. So if this has to stop in order for her to sleep in her own crib at night, we might as well just accept that she will not be out of our bed anytime soon.








Her NICU f/u appointment went well. She is right on target for her adjusted age at 13 months. She weighs 17lbs 9 oz! We thought she was well over 19, but Amelia always seems to want to fool us. Her eating habits are getting a little better. She likes to pick up her own food and put it in her mouth, but she still has the storing food in her mouth and not swallowing it. She is worse than a little chipmunk! You can feed her, and an hour later, she will still have the pasta noodle in her mouth. It is unbelievable. She's not a big fan of chunky food, so we are still on level 2 baby food. She is still on formula and will be until she reaches the charts a little more. Whole milk just doesn't have the fat or calories in it. She drinks about 3 or 4 - 7 oz bottles a day and 3-4 jars of baby food a day plus Graham crackers, cheerios or banana's, etc.



Let's see...what else is she up to. She still is crawling all over the place, and holds on and walks around on everything, but no first first step. She is a YAPPER! Oh my goodness...she must be telling a good story some days! It is the cutest voice I have ever heard. She says daddy, light (which is pronounced as Dight) and baby. She rarely says mommy, and yes, I get jealous of daddy. She is no doubt about it, daddy's little girl. To the point that it is a little ridiculous. This morning Mike got up out of bed to go to the bathroom and she started to cry and wanted to go too! Sometimes if daddy is holding her, and I need to take her out of his arms, she won't come! Little STINKER!! But then there is the occasion that it is reversed so I guess it all evens out.



Favorite "toys" are the remote control and the computer! Loves to bang on the keyboard. She is going to be a computer whiz...I see it already. As Grandma Heldt says..GIFTED! She is great at going up stairs and has now mastered how to get off the couch. She loves this fisher price toy chair and does some pretty acrobatic moves on it. Other than that, life is very normal...and normal is great! We have a very happy little girl who has just about everyone wrapped around her little finger.


No comments: