Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Daddy, Uncle Austin & Amelia

Here is the quick and short of things that have changed since Monday. They decided NOT to treat the heart murmur. Monday night they compared the two echo's and realized that the hole was much smaller then last week. So they are just going to let it go for now. She also decided yesterday that she didn't want to eat anymore, so after she had pulled out her tube that goes into her tummy TWICE (feisty little thing), they did an Xray and saw she had lots of little air bubbles in her tummy and in her intestines which made it impossible for anything to move thru. So back on antibiotics she went while they wait for cultures to come back to make sure she doesn't have any infections from her tummy and have been holding her feeds again.

Her Brady's (when her heart rate drops rapidly into the low 80 and lower) have also returned and they have been alot more sever, so she was too unstable to kangaroo yesterday too. Sad for mommy and daddy. It was a rough day for us yesterday. Kangarooing is our time together to bond and fall in love. And with the roller coaster of things going on yesterday and then not being able to hold her, it just was another one of those non progress days.


Today I made up for it and held her for a nice long 3+ hours. She kept putting her face into my chest, so her little nose and everything was smashed down on my chest. I'm not sure how she was even able to breathe, but it must have been comfortable for her because I would turn her head and she would put it right back in the same position. We were so nice and warm together that I had to take off her little hat and take off one of the blankets. I was slobbered in Amelia drool on my chest when she was lifted off of me, but she can get away with pretty much anything right now! Cute little Amelia drool. She stayed awake just looking around in her little house and chomped away on her nookie for a good hour. I put her back around 4:15 and I think she was staying awake because she knew her daddy was coming soon and wanted to say hi. I kangarooed thru lunch, so I pretty much took off soon after he got there because I was starving. He is still there. It's amazing how fast an hour goes while you are with her. I am sure an hour when Mike is at work doesn't go so quickly. But when your with little melie bug, your hours fly by. I am usually there 6-8 hours a day and I seriously don't know what I do besides stare at her, kangaroo with her, change an occasional diaper, check her temperature or am busy pumping. I even have brought my laptop in with me and I have only turned it on once. 5 more days until I have to return to work :( It might actually help the weeks fly by, but I just can't imagine not spending my days with her like we have over the past 19 days. 19 days...wow. I still can't believe it is 19 days.

We spoke to our priest the other day and he suggested we have her baptised in the hospital mainly because of her length of stay in the nicu. It's not exactly the baptism I was thinking of, but then again NONE of this has been. We are hoping she is stable enough to take her out to be able to hold her, but if not, we can just do it in her little isolette. We pretty much roll with the punches and she calls the shots!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning little Amelia, I'm sorry I haven't written in quite some time and I am so sorry I haven't seen you in almost 2 weeks. What a horrible auntie I am! Uncle Austin went to see you a week ago and he couldn't believe how great you were doing! He is so proud of you, as I am also. We love you so much and we can't wait till you come home. I helped your grandma with your baptism dress...you are going to look like an angel in that! I am so sad that no more than your parents and grandparents can come to your baptism but we will be thinking and praying for you and with them while it is taking place. We pray for you every night...we miss you and we hope we can come see you sometime this weekend. We love you Amelia Bedelia! Love, Uncle Austi & Auntie Rebecca.

Anonymous said...

hey aleena and mike!

i look forward to reading amelia's blog every day, you do such a wonderful job with it (well, more aleena then mike, he he he) thank you so much for taking the time to keep all of your loved ones updated on little miss amelia. she is so beautiful (she totally looks like a hetzel girl!!) i hope to be able to come and visit again soon. till then, your family is constantly in my thoughts and my prayers, i think about all of you every day. you are wonderful parents and amelia is so blessed to have become apart of your family. much love, hugs and kisses!