Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Good Day Bad Day

Have you ever seen that movie, Groundhog's Day with Bill Murray? I feel like I am in that movie. Reliving the same day over and over and over. This Friday I will be living in this same day for 6 weeks! 6 WEEKS! I just want it to be over!

In the book that I am reading, it says you reach a point in the NICU when you finally feel good about things, which I think we have been in for the last two weeks or so. But then it says you hit a point where you are once again frustrated. This week, that is where we are. Frustrated, annoyed, even more tired and just want our baby girl home with us. I know she needs to be there and I know she will be home soon enough, I just am getting impatient.

The day started off bad and I think I just stayed in that mood all day. I hoped in my car, but couldn't find me keys anywhere and after searching the entire house, I finally realized they could only be one other place - my other home, the Hospital. So I called and sure enough, my keys were sitting in Amelia's room!! I had drove in with Mike on Monday. I tried calling everyone I could think of for a ride, and finally my sister Aleese drove me half way and my sister Amber picked me up half way and drove me the rest! Thank goodness for sisters. I got there and Amelia was on her 3rd nurse for the day and by that time, I felt like I was getting the info on how she was doing like that game we played in school, telephone...one person tells you something and gets passed along and passed along and it changes along the way....so that just added to my day. me: "How was her night" -nurse: "Umm..I think it was good" - me: Oh...well I see she had a Brady again last night" - nurse: OH did she?" Thank goodness I have gotten pretty good at reading her chart because I wasn't getting any info from them.


We did have some REALLY good positive steps. They raised her roof on her isolette to see how she does on room air. They had her so bundled up, it looks like she was ready to go outside in the snow. She had a onsie on, a fleece sleeper, a fleece halo sleep sack, two blankets on top of her and a knitted hat! She needs to maintain a body temp of at least 36.5-37.2 c. If it goes below that, she would be burning too many calories and energy just to stay warm and start loosing weight. She hovered at 36.5 pretty much all day, which is good, so we will see what happens in the next few days. If she does good again for a few days in a row, they will move her to an open crib!! Crazy.

Daddy got a special treat today and got to feed his little girl from a bottle for the very first time. He did really great and she did even better. Almost drank her ENTIRE feeding, 23 cc's out of 30! He was so excited. He has been waiting to bottle feed her since I was pregnant! She had some pretty bad reflux after it and spit up a few times, so we put her on her tummy and she seemed to be happy and very content.

I will update with a photo when I get my camera card...which is...at the hospital!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay mike! congratulations on being able to finally feed your precious little girl amelia, great feeling isnt it? keep up the good work aleena and mike, you are two amazing parents and amelia is so lucky to have you both. keep your chins up, you are doing a fantastic job, dont forget it. soon enough she will be home :o) love you all!

Anonymous said...

Hey Aleena and Mike,

Congrats on Amelia being almost ready to go in an open air crib!! That is great!!!

I always check in with your blog and it sounds like things are going well. I can't wait to meet Amelia!

This blog is such a neat thing, and someday this will be so great for Amelia to read and for her to see how much love you both have for her.