Sunday, November 9, 2008

Grandma's fell in love


Saturday I walked in and saw Amelia in a bassinet!! I couldn't blog on Saturday because I wanted it to be a surprise for Mike's parents who were coming today. She had been doing really good keeping her body temp all week, so they decided the isolette needed to go! YEAAAHHH. She got major doses of Grandparents this weekend. Friday Grandma Hetzel, gosh that sounds so weird calling my mom a grandma, came down and held her little granddaughter. This was actually her 3rd time. The first time came a week ago when I was kangarooing and needed a bathroom break, so my mom just happened to be in the right place at the right time and I only gave her up for 15 minutes and wanted her back again, but she was hooked and wanted more!!. But this weekend, she logged some major time with all of them. Sunday was the first day that Grammy Lu and Grandpa Bob got to hold their little granddaughter for the first time. Before, she was only really able to kangaroo and that was about all she could handle without being over stimulated. For Grandma Hetzel, she was wide awake almost the entire time. For Grammy Lu & Grandpa Bob, she was sound asleep! They waited 6 weeks to hold their granddaughter for the first time....6 weeks! My mom has already booked Tuesday during her day off to go in and hold her. Amelia is going to be very spoiled, but she needs as much love as she can get. I read today that these first few weeks & months are so important for her to be held as much as she can. Studies even show that preemies that are held early on thrive more. I think when she comes home she is going to be taped to my body so that we can do everything together. Works for me!

She is still having her Brady episodes and they have actually increased again. Friday she had 6 of them! Brady's are where she basically holds her breath and then causes her heart rate to drop down in the 80's. She normally runs around 150-180, so dropping to 80 is major trouble. That's when you really see how fast the nurses run. Sooo not fun. I am starting to not rely so much on the monitors and pay more attention to her. I can tell when she is starting to drop because she turns really pale and purple and I can't feel her breathing anymore. It's crazy. She is like a chameleon constantly changing colors. They tested her blood levels on Friday to see how her anemia is doing and she hasn't really changed much in her levels, but the rate her body is making the red blood cells is good, so right now, still avoiding the blood transfusion.

Anytime I am with her, I either try to bottle feed her or breastfeed her. She really has been doing a great job at both. I feel so bad for her because I know how much work it is for her right now. The nurses taught me a little trick to help her not work as hard by keeping one of my fingers under her chin for support. Her reflux is just horrible and after she is done eating I try to keep her upright so it is easier for her to digest and easier for her to not spit up and keep her reflux down. Even when she is sleeping, she lets out these little cries and I know that her tummy just must be hurting her so bad. Poor little thing. I just feel so bad for her.
She weighs 3 lbs 13 oz! I was hoping she would be up to 4 lbs by the end of this weekend, but that's okay. I'll take 3 lbs 13 oz too! She looks like a little teddy bear in this outfit. This was just after her little bath time tonight. SHE IS SOO sweet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG big girl amelia!! i bet you are loving your "big" girl bed! :o) no more little box for you, you are on to bigger and better things! i am so proud of you! you amaze me every week! i love the little video of you too. cameron and i just watched it like 8 times in a row! cameron loves you so much and cant wait for you to come home too. he loves to look at pictures of you and he was really excited about the video today too! keep up the good work little one!

Anonymous said...

OMG big girl amelia!! i bet you are loving your "big" girl bed! :o) no more little box for you, you are on to bigger and better things! i am so proud of you! you amaze me every week! i love the little video of you too. cameron and i just watched it like 8 times in a row! cameron loves you so much and cant wait for you to come home too. he loves to look at pictures of you and he was really excited about the video today too! keep up the good work little one!

Anonymous said...

Amelia!!! I love that video of you!! Looks like you are waving..you are too cute and it sounds like you are becoming quite the big girl!! You go girl!! God bless you and keep up the good work sweetheart!! You are so loved!!
Cindy